Thursday, January 16, 2014

Winterland


The idea for this sweater was in my mind for quite some time. And Project Run and Play's theme for this week, Winter Wonderland, was the trigger to finally bring my idea into reality...


It started off with this old knitted baby sweater that -I guess- my mum made for my little brother, over 30 years ago! I loved the colors and the theme. However, as you can see, it had felted and shrunk into weird proportions. Especially the sleeves had become very narrow and stiff. I thought about knitting another sweater, but figured that the time and effort I would spend on knitting would probably not weigh against the time spent by my son wearing it...

So instead I decided to copy it in another way. I happened to have just the right colored knits in my stash, so off I went. 
I used a basic pattern from Ottobre, changed the collar into a scarf collar, and appliqued the landscape onto the sweater. 

I'm really pleased with the result. And apparently, my little boy is too!





20 comments:

  1. I started smiling when I saw your name pop an in my blog list! Always love your stuff and this is another great one! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annika! It has been a while since my last post. Hope to make you smile again soon ;-)

      Delete
  2. This is just adorable! What a great idea and such a perfect way to hang on to the memories. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Great idea and it suits him very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the your artistic rendition of the winter scene from the vintage sweater.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! Great job, love the collar especially...and he looks adorable in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the inspiration/sentiment behind this sweater! It's a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun sweater! Love the sentimentality of it and you really did the original justice. <3

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really gorgeous! I love the whole look of it; colors, design etc. and am inspired by the way you pieced the layers together. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my - this looks amazing! I would be worried piecing the knit together - but you have done a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore that you took something your mother made and updated it for your own child. The design is such a great nod to your mother's work and I have to say you did an amazing technical job piecing it together. It's such a great sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! that is amazing. I am always in love with your stuff, but actually I think this is my favorite to date. And the fact that you made it after your mothers design is priceless. Great work!
    with love,
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word. That is beautiful!
    It reminds me of a Bill Cosby Sweater... in a good way!
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this and the fact you are passing the sweater downin a new way. Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is darling! You did an amazing job recreating that sweater!

    ReplyDelete